State of war that existed between the two countries has come to an end
BREAKING – #Eritrea & #Ethiopia Sign Joint Declaration of Peace & Friendship, Formally Ending State of War That Prevailed for Past Two Decades
The Ethiopian high-level delegation led by Prime Minister Dr Abiy Ahmed just concluded their two-day state visit to Eritrea and flew back home.
Earlier in the day, Eritrea and Ethiopia signed a Joint Declaration of Peace and Friendship. The Agreement, which specifies five pillars, was signed this morning at State House by President Isaias Afwerki and Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.
The Joint Declaration states, inter alia,
1) State of war that existed between the two countries has come to an end. A new era of peace & friendship has been ushered;
2) Both countries will work to promote close cooperation in political, economic, social, cultural & security areas.
3) Transport, trade and telecommunication ties will be resumed; diplomatic ties & activities renewed;
4) Border decision will be implemented;
5) Both countries will work together to guarantee regional peace, development and cooperation.
Yesterday at a state dinner he hosted in honor of the Ethiopian leader and his high-level delegation, Eritrea’s President Isaias Afwerki said: “The tumultuous welcome accorded to Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Dr. Abiy Ahmed underscores how much the people of Eritrea cherish peace…Plaudits for Dr. Abiy for the bold political choice he has taken that will recoup lost time and opportunity in the past 20 years.…We are with you.”
Source: Latest tweets from Eritrea’s Minister of Information, Mr Yemane Gebre Meskel, @hawelti