By Abdur Rahman Alfa Shaban
Dr. Merera Gudina a leading opposition voice in Ethiopia continues his political engagements across the Oromia regional state.
Thousands turned up to greet Oromo Federalist Congress (OFC) leader over the weekend in the town of Ambo in the state. Exclusive materials shared by the Addis Standard portal showed how people from all over turned up at the Ambo national stadium to catch a glimpse of a political hero.
On his part, Gudina is reported to have thanked the people for pouring out in their numbers to meet him and also for their unwavering support during his incarceration. The largely peaceful event lasted a few minuted the Addis Standard portal added.
Key dates in Gudina’s political ups and downs
– December 1, 2016: Arrested after arriving from European visit
– December 30: Appears in court, denies terrorism links
– Feb 23, 2017: Charged with terrorism
– Later in the year, terrorism charge downgraded to multiple criminal charges
– January 17, 2018: Charges dropped, released from prison. Oromia erupts
– January 25: Meets German and U.S. embassy officials in Addis Ababa
– January 28: Returns to stronghold of Ambo to massive welcome
— Addis Gazetta (@addisgazetta) January 28, 2018